Holiday Hazards – Part 1

The holidays are fast approaching!  Whether your celebrations will be big or small, our pets may be exposed to some potential hazards which can be avoided with a little planning and know-how.  Here is a brief list of what is (and isn’t) a hazard.

*Silica Gel Packs – found in a variety of products to absorb moisture. Usually will not cause clinical signs, although at high doses can cause diarrhea or possibly a foreign body obstruction if the entire packet is ingested

*Christmas tree preservative – drinking the water may result in mild gastrointestinal signs.  If there is bacterial or fungal contamination of the water, this can result in more severe signs.

*Christmas trees – vomiting, poor appetite, and abdominal pain may be noticed after ingestion of the needles

*Poinsettias – toxic in large doses. Typical vomiting after ingestion is self-limiting

*Mistletoe – toxic in large quantities.  Sometimes plastic berries can cause obstruction and require foreign body surgery

*American Holly – all parts of the holly plant are considered to contain potentially toxic compounds, which may cause gastrointestinal irritation and depression.

*Christmas Cactus – considered non-toxic

There are lots of potential problems but if we take a few minutes to ensure that our furry friends have a safe environment, it is sure to be a happy holiday season all around!  Stay tuned for Part 2 of our Holiday Hazards blog.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions at (905) 727-3003.

 

Sharing is caring!

Comments are closed.